left over spaghetti sauce…yup i said it, we all have it , you made a batch of special sauce that is enough to feed a family of 10. so the next question is what in the world are we going to do with it. do you really want to keep eating it on noodles for days? well i don’t , so after a few thinking sessions and just trying to use up what i had in the pantry, ciabatta bread pizza was born.
this honestly turned out way better than i expected. i am not a fan of doughy bread pizza, but i feel like a fatty-patty when i eat thin crust because i can eat half a pizza. so this little ciabatta bread was just right for this little “goldie locks”. the bread was store-bought from my deli section at the grocery store, three square shape rolls for a dollar. everything else i just had on hand at home. so it meets my checklist, cheap – yummy – quick , so if you’re in a hurry this week and need a quick meal give this a try…way better than heated up noodles…
from me two you,
ciabatta bread pizza for two
2 ciabatta rolls
1/4 of an onion – sliced thinly
1/4 of a green pepper – sliced thinly
1/2 C. meat spaghetti sauce
1/2 C. shredded cheese – i used colby jack
parmesan cheese – just a few T. to sprinkle on top
*tools you will need: sheet pan to bake on , and saute pan for the onions and green pepper
- begin by preheating oven to 350 degrees.
- slice ciabatta rolls in half length wise, we want them to lay flat. drizzle open rolls with a bit of olive oil and place in oven for 5 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- in a saute pan cook onion and green pepper slices in olive oil until tender.
- once rolls are removed from oven, turn off oven and turn on the broiler to high heat.
- we now begin to layer our pizza. place 2 T. of sauce on each roll. top with our cooked onion and peppers. layer colby cheese first, then top with just a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- place pizzas under broiler , leave the oven door cracked and don’t take your eyes off them. should only take 1 – 2 minutes for cheese to melt.
serve while hot ( maybe wait a few minutes before serving so you don’t cause any burnt roof of mouth issues ) so serve warm and enjoy.