have you ever heard of rattlesnake pasta? well it’s a chicken pasta dish that is pretty spicy and really delicious. as usual i can’t find any restaurant that has anything like that on the menu, (that’s a reoccurring theme when you don’t live in the south anymore). so that leads me to make my own. i’ve seen a few recipes floating around online for a rotel chicken,which is similar to rattlesnake pasta, but my problem with that is it uses a whole block of velveeta cheese. and it being me ,of course, i wanted to make it as homemade as possible. so here is the recipe i came up with, really quick and really delicious.my honey even said it goes on the make again list, so pat on the back to me…
from me two you,
1 C. penne pasta – cooked and drained
1 T. butter
1 T. flour
3/4 C. milk
1/2 C. shredded taco blend cheese
*1 can rotel (do not drain)
1 C. chicken – cooked and shredded
salt and pepper to taste
*i use medium heat rotel, but use the hot if you can handle the heat!
- in large skillet turn on medium heat and begin to melt butter.
- once butter is melted, grab a whisk, and whisk in 1 T. flour, keep stirring until a paste forms.
- continue whisking and slowly add in milk, and only add in a few tablespoons at a time, until all milk has been added.
- add shredded cheese to milk mixture and allow “sauce ” to thicken.
- once sauce has thickened, turn off heat and add in rotel. stir to combine.
- last stir in chicken and pasta. salt and pepper to taste.
- serve warm and enjoy.