so you made a roast and now you have more roast than you know what to do with…i made a roast served with mashed potatoes and gravy the first night, then for lunch the next day i toasted up sourdough bread topped it with meat, provolone cheese, and smothered in gravy for an open face style sandwich, but i was still left with a ton of meat. i remembered seeing giada make a short rib penne pasta recipe a few years back. it looked absolutely amazing but who really wants to make a whole pot of short ribs, shred them, then make a sauce, and noodles? not i , so here is my partially stealing her idea recipe,but doing a twist by giving it a chicago touch by adding the spicy giardiniera. just a note i served with a side salad and garlic bread. i hope this helps the next time that leftover roast is just sitting in your fridge, just know it can be turned into another delicious dinner…
from me two you,
italian beef penne pasta
2 T. olive oil
1 small onion – chopped
1 rib celery – chopped
3 baby carrots – shredded
1 T. italian blend herbs
1 can tomato sauce + 1/2 can of water
1/2 cup giardiniera – chopped
1 C. leftover roast meat – chopped (add more if you want it really meaty)
1 C. penne pasta – cooked and drained
1/4 C. parmesan cheese
- in large skillet heat olive oil. add in chopped onion, celery, and carrots and saute until all are tender.
- pour in tomato sauce ,1/2 can water, 1 T. of italian herbs, and giardinera and let simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- add meat to sauce and let sauce come back up to a simmer over low heat. (we are just trying to heat the meat through, not kill the meat with to much heat)
- combine cooked and drained pasta in sauce pot and stir gently to combine.
- top with parmesan cheese. serve and enjoy.