Todays post begins with crepes. A crepe is simply a thin pancake served with a variety of fillings. Common fillings here in the US are served for breakfast or dessert, maybe nutella, strawberries & cream, lemon & powdered sugar, custards, cherries or maybe jams or jellies. I feel my fellow americans have lost sight of the wonderful savory possibilities of crepes. In france crepes are served for lunch or dinner filled with cheese, ham, eggs, mushrooms,or artichokes. I can just close my eyes and imagine a beautiful outdoor cafe, the sun is warm, and the tea is hot, your crepe arrives smelling of cheesy deliciousness, you eat it, you enjoy it, and you leave feeling full of crepey goodness (this is a definite different feeling than greasy burger and fries fullness). Now I’ve never been to france, but I day-dream of it often, so my fantasy of street cafe’s could be totally wrong, but if so don’t burst my bubble. Chicken, mushrooms, and red pepper are my leading ladies in todays recipe, and from start to finish this only took about 45 minutes. Now if your scared of making crepes, don’t be, they are nothing more than thin pancakes, I promise you the first three will look like crap and you will thrown them away, but then you will get the hang of it and become iron chef of crepe making. So pour your self a glass of wine, maybe play a bit of french cafe accordion music ,this should help you get in the mood with a few Robert Doisneau photographs and day dream yourself away … Bonne journée
from me two you,
savory chicken crepes
1 cup baking mix
3/4 to 1 C. milk
cooking non stick spray
– begin by combining baking mix , egg and milk . add enough milk until batter is thinner than pancake mix.
– using a non stick skillet, spray with non stick spray, put small ladle full of batter into pan, and “swirl” pan around until batter doesn’t look wet. cook for 3 minutes on each side.
– set cooked crepes aside while you make the filling.
2 T. olive oil
1/2 onion – chopped
1/2 red bell pepper – chopped
1 T. dried parsley
1 C. cooked chicken – chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 C. milk
1 C. grated mozzarella cheese (for topping crepes only)
– using a large skillet heat olive oil on medium high heat.
– saute onions and peppers until tender.
– add in parsley , chicken, garlic powder, cream of chicken soup, and milk. let mixture come to low boil. then remove from heat and let mixture cool for a few minutes.
– assemble crepes by putting 1/4 C. – 1/2 C. of chicken mixture in each crepe. lay seam side down in greased 8×8 glass pan. top crepes with grated cheese, place crepes under broiler and melt cheese.
serve warm and enjoy…