Valentines day…what a bust. Now I’m going to be completely honest, I actually do like valentines day, but not for all the reasons you may think. It just flabergasts me every year how some dummy dum guy would spend $40 on flowers, really dude, their flowers that are going to die in 2 days. Every commercial that comes on tv, “buy her diamonds, or she will hate your forever….” , seriously I don’t need diamonds, and I don’t want $40 flowers. I just want a normal valentines day, like when we were kids, you got a sweet 4 inch by 4 inch card from the boy you liked that said something really cheesy and a piece of candy taped to it. As I said before I do enjoy valentines day, my favorite color is pink, I adore anything covered in glitter, I like handmade cards, and my favorite food group is sweets – all these things add up to valentines day being one of my favorites. Today’s recipe is really simple, a boxed cake mix turned into a cake brownie, well it’s not cake and it’s not really a brownie, so for the sake of your sanity, let just call them “bars”. These are so nice to take to work or school, it’s makes a 9 x 13 pan so there is plenty for sharing. You can also make these in any flavor you wish, strawberry and cream cheese frosting is what I’ve made them in today, but I also do them in chocolate chip as well. So whip up a batch in your favorite flavor, and spread some love… happy valentines day yall….
from me two you,
strawberry bars with cream cheese frosting
1 box strawberry cake mix
1 small box strawberry pudding instant mix
1/4 C. water
3/4 C. vegetable oil
– combine all ingredients into large bowl. mix well to combine. dough will be thicker than normal cake mix.
– spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray. and pour batter into pan, (batter will be thick, so i will just use my hands and press batter to even it out in pan.)
– bake at 350 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes.
– let cake cool completely before topping with icing.
cream cheese frosting
4 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
2 C. powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 T. milk
* optional food coloring – 1 drop blue + 1 drop green = minty green
– beat cream cheese in small bowl making sure it is completely soft.
– add in sugar, vanilla, and stir until combined. add milk in as needed. feel free to add more if you would like icing to be thinner. add in food coloring if you wish.
– pour icing onto bars and refrigerate 1 hour. serve and enjoy.
* to make chocolate chip cookie bars, use a confetti cake mix, vanilla pudding, and add in 1 C. chocolate chips to the above recipe.