Leftover mashed potatoes have a wrap sheet a mile long. Why the turn gummy, yet crumbly when re-heated I have no clue. Like most of you, I made an Irish style feast yesterday, full of corned beef, cabbage, rye bread, and yes mashed potatoes. Yes it took me all day, and yes it was worth it. Seeing how I hate for food to go to waste, my ultimate pet peeve is seeing food that I worked hard on go to waste. Making homemade mashed potatoes isn’t hard, but isn’t easy either. This recipe defiantly started with my father making us “potato croquets” during my childhood. My sisters and I would grump about eating them, but over the years I began to realize these things were actually pretty tasty. My version of potatoes cakes just takes on the classic loaded baked potato toppings, cheese, bacon, chives, and of course sour cream. Now this isn’t a fancy dish, but you honestly won’t belive how tasty these are. So here’s to the sad little bowl of cold mashed potatoes in your fridge, all they need is a little make over and they are good as new…
from me two you,
loaded potato cakes
1 1/2 cups left over mashed potatoes
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
2 T. vegetable oil
3 T. flour
2 slices bacon – cooked, cooled and crumbled
sour cream (for garnish)
2 T. chopped chives (for garnish)
– begin by combining potatoes, shredded cheese (reserve 2 T. of cheese for garnish), garlic powder, and egg in a small bowl. mix well to combine.
– using a large skillet begin to heat vegetable oil over medium high heat.
– place 3 T. of flour on to a small plate.
– begin to scoop potato cakes by using an ice cream scooper or just a large spoon. roll potatoes into a ball using your hands , then roll the potato balls in the flour to lightly coat the outside of the cake. lightly flatten the ball to form a flat cake shape.
– place cakes in hot oil and brown on each side (about 2 minutes each side).* just a tip – once you put the cakes in the pan , don’t touch or “check” to see if they are brown, until you can actually see the sides of the cake turning brown.
– place cooked cakes onto serving dish and top each cake with cheese, dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with chives. serve immediately and enjoy.