Now let me explain this crazy dish before your sweet tooth speedometer explodes. First of all it is a crostata….and what is a crostata? honey a crostata is a flat pie, you don’t need a pie plate, pie weights, or fancy crimped edges. Just make you favorite pie crust, roll it out, and slap it on a cookie sheet and lookie here you have a crostata shell. Second this isn’t a true cheesecake, I creamed together low fat cottage cheese, vanilla, and a pinch of sugar, and like magic you have a creamy cheese cake tasting mixture. Last but not least our star ingredient is berries. Blackberries and strawberries are used two different ways, I left a few fresh for a beautiful garnish, but the main layer of our crostata is homemade berry jam. Now this may seem like a few to many steps, like it is time consuming, but it isn’t . All you need is about 15 minutes of prep time and 30 minutes to bake.So if your in the mood for a fast , tasty,simply homemade sweet treat, than this one is for you…
from me two you,
berry cheesecake crustada
1 C. all purpose flour
½ tsp salt
⅓ C. crisco
3 – 4 T. water
– begin by placing flour into small bowl. add in salt and fluff with fork. using a pastry cutter or your hands “cut” in crisco until flour clumps together in pea size chunks. slowly add in 1 T of water at a time until dough is formed. place dough in fridge to chill for 10 minutes. once dough is chilled roll crust on a floured surface into a 10 inch round. place rolled crust on a greased cookie sheet.
7 medium size strawberries – sliced
⅓ C. water
¼ C. sugar
– begin by placing all ingredients into a small saucepan. turn on high heat and bring to a boil. let it boil rapidly for 5 minutes (it should foam up a bit) then remove from heat to let cool.
¾ C. cottage cheese
1 T. vanilla extract
1 T. sugar
– combine all ingredients into a food processor or blender. whip until all ingredients are combined and the cheese curds have disappeared. (*you may use ricotta cheese if you wish, i prefer cottage cheese for 2 reasons – cheaper and less calories)
5 fresh strawberries – sliced thinly
10 fresh blackberries
how to assemble:
– we should have our crust ready and waiting on our greased cookie sheet.
– first start with the jam, try to keep a 1 inch border around outside edge clean.
– next layer 5 big dollops of our cheese mixture. don’t worry about trying to spread it out evenly, it will spread out on its own in the oven.
– our final layer is fresh berries, arrange in any manner you wish.
– last fold edges inward so the pie filling won’t ooze out everywhere while baking.
– bake at 350 for 30 – 35 minutes. until crust is golden brown.
– serve and enjoy.